You need a code to check NIN on MTN, or any other network you are using. As long as your line is registered, you can check if your NIN is validated.
With the recent news from the federal government of Nigeria, which gave directives to to Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to block phone numbers not yet linked with NIN.
It is clear that many citizens didn’t want to register their NIN, thinking it will be another talk without action from the federal government.
However they were shocked when they discovered that they can’t make calls with their lines.
Table of Contents
- What is NIN (National Identification Number)?
What is NIN (National Identification Number)?
The NIN (National Identification Number) is a one-of-a-kind code assigned to each person. The NIN is crucial in most circumstances because it is the only thing that connects the individual to the NIMC system.
The National ID is one of the valid means of identification for citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is owned by the National Identification Management Commission (NIMC).
Benefits of NIN
Your NIN is still valuable outside of Nigeria, whether you are traveling or part of the Nigerian diaspora:
- For identification with other proud Nigerians abroad
- Senders and receivers of money and goods/services can be identified, verified and traced as needed, enabling secure international transactions.
- Use for opening bank account in Nigeria.
- For linking your SIM Cards.
- Means of Identification in Nigeria.
- For online registration.
Don’t forget the code to check NIN on all network, be it Airtel, MTN, Glo, 9Mobile etc.
How to register for NIN
- Visits NIMC website to access the Pre-Enrolment Portal: https://penrol.nimc.gov.ng and the online Enrolment Form.
- Fills the Enrolment Form online, prints out a summary sheet with a 2D Barcode and heads to any NIMC Enrolment Centre.
- Verifies and confirms the enrolment, data on the system.
- Take headshot photograph, fingerprints and signature captured.
- Scan your supporting documents.
- Enrolment is acknowledged; two slips will be generated and given to you: (a) Transaction Slip (b) NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment.
Do not enroll more than once, otherwise it will cause problems for you. Always use the code to check NIN to find out so you don’t make attempt of registering twice.
Code to check NIN: How to check NIN with USSD
- Dial *346# on your mobile phone.
- Choose “Retrieve NIN”
- Press 1 to retrieve your NIN.
- Your NIN will be sent to you in few minutes.
When you get your NIN, write it down in a safe place so you don’t have to worry again. Kindly note that the your network will charge you N20 to retrieve your NIN for you.
How to Validate NIN Online FREE
Follow the steps below to validate your NIN online:
- Visit the NIMC Verification Services Website
- Click on ‘Verify NIN” button
- Enter your NIN
- Enter the OTP sent to you.
- Confirm your details.
- Click Submit.
How to link NIN to Airtel, MTN, Glo & 9Mobile
If you have not yet linked your line with NIN, you don’t have to worry, I’ve got you covered.
However, you can still dial the code to check NIN which is *346#, incase you already registered before.
How to Link NIN to Airtel
- Dial *121# on the Airtel line you want to link.
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and send.
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and send.
- Wait for confirmation message.
You can also visit http://www.airtel.com.ng/nin or walk into any Airtel service center close to you.
How to Link NIN to MTN
- Dial *785# using the MTN phone number you wish to link
- Enter your NIN and submit
You can also;
- Dial *785# Your NIN # from the MTN number you wish to link.
- The phone number will be linked to your NIN.
Alternatively, you can Visit https://mtnonline.com/nim/ or walk into any MTN service center close to you.
How to Link NIN to Glo
Link your phone number to NIN by simply sending ‘UPDATENIN NIN FirstName and LastName’ to 109. For example, send ‘UPDATENIN 12345678903 Chinedu Abdul’ to 109.”
How to Link NIN to 9Mobile
To link 9Mobile sim to NIN, simply dial *200*8# on your 9mobile SIM, enter the NIN and submit.
You can also visit their website website at https://9mobile.com.ng/nin to link your NIN or visit their outlet nearest to you.
After reading to this point, I believed you have gotten your code to check NIN which is *346#, just a reminder.
You need to link and validate your NIN to your SIM card to avoid disconnection,
It is no more news that the federal government of Nigeria have given directives to Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to block phone numbers of defaulters.
Thanks for reading, and for the last time, don’t forget the code to check NIN. Please drop your comments.
Leave a Reply